Surprise is an important part of adventure. For many, tour bus holidays with their large itineraries of activities and restaurants drawn up months in advance can be just as tedious as the office. Often not knowing exactly what you’ve got in store on holiday makes it far more exciting and rewarding.
This is where the spontaneous trip comes in. In this short guide I will be telling you the best way to plan your next impulsive getaway. All you will need is your hand luggage, an open mind and a thirst for adventure.
Fun Ways to Get Going
It’s all very well wanting to go on a fun spontaneous getaway, but how do you get there if you don’t know where you are going? Here are 4 super fun ways to head off into the sunset and come out at your perfect surprise destination:
- Buy a Ticket at the Airport – This might sound obvious, but who really buys tickets at the airport these days? For your next holiday, simply turn up at the airport, pick somewhere nice and jet off.
- Random Selection – My favourite way to choose a holiday destination is by putting all 24 letters of the alphabet into a hat and going to a country which begins with the first letter plucked. Picked out a L… looks like its Laos!
- Try srprs.me – Just tell this great new website your price range and theme and they will pick a European city break for you without any hassle. The catch? You only find out where you are going when you reach the airport.
- Go for a Drive – Driving in the UK and Europe may not be as romantic as an American road trip but can prove just as intriguing. Get in the car with a couple of friends, drive until it gets dark and stay wherever you end up. Keep going like this and see where the road takes you.
The Best Apps
Having the best travel apps on your phone makes impulsive getaways easy. Just because you haven’t planned the trip it doesn’t mean the holiday should be any more stressful. These are a few apps that will help smooth out the whole adventure:
- Hotel Tonight – Last minute deals are perfect for this type of holiday. Hotel Tonight shows you rooms that are available that very night with plenty of great offers.
- GTFO – Get the Flight Out has all the latest flight information and updates so you can choose your escape route while in the taxi to the airport. Flying was never this easy.
- Priceline – Similar to srprs.me, this app lets you pick your hotel rating and books a nearby hotel for you. The app only tells you where you are staying after you have booked and it’s also a great way to get big discounts.
The only part of the holiday you should plan is sorting out some comprehensive gadget travel insurance before you leave. Your spontaneous fun can be made a lot harder if you lose your phone so keep it insured and protect your gadget. Travel insurance in general is also a clever idea as you never know the bumps and hiccups you might face or where exactly the adventure will take you.